Technical Education Information for Young People

What are T-levels?

T levels are new two-year courses which you can take after your GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A levels. They focus on vocational skills and can help you into skilled employment, higher study, or apprenticeships.

They have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses. This makes sure that the content meets the needs of the industry and prepares you for work, further training, or study.

What do they involve?

T levels offer a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience. You will spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that you need. The other 20% is your industry placement, where you put your skills into action. The industry placement is at least 315 hours which is approximately 45 days.

What and where can I study?

To find out more about the different subjects on offer, head to the T level webpages. Locally, in Dorset, Ferndown Upper School are offering the following courses from September 2022:

  • Digital Production, Design and Development T level
  • Digital Support Services T level

More subjects and providers will be added in the future.

What are the entry requirements?

Entry requirements for each course are set by the individual college or school. Check with your local T level college or school to find out more.

How are they graded?

On completion of a T Level, you will get a nationally recognised certification with your overall grade.

This will be either:

  • Pass
  • Merit
  • Distinction
  • Distinction *

It will also provide details of what you learnt during the course.

Can they provide UCAS tariff points?

T Levels will be worth UCAS points. A T Level Distinction * is worth the same as 3 A levels at A*. They should be recognised by universities and other education providers, but it is worth checking this on the entry requirements of different institutions.

What is the T Level Transition Programme?

If you don’t feel quite ready for a T Level, the T Level Transition Programme is a 1-year post-GCSE course. Designed to prepare you for your chosen route, this course will give you relevant knowledge, practical and study skills to support your future study. Talk to your local T Level provider to find out if this could be an option for you.

T Levels on Offer in Dorset

This academic year has seen the start of T Level delivery locally. You can search to find a T Level school or college here. An overview of local providers and course start dates can be found below:

Courses starting September 2022:

Provider T Level Courses
Ferndown Upper School
  • Digital Production, Design and Development

  • Digital Support Services

Courses starting September 2023:

Provider T Level Courses
Bournemouth & Poole College
  • Digital and Computing

  • Construction

  • Education and Childcare

Brockenhurst College
  • Education and Childcare
Ferndown Upper School
  • Digital
  • Education and Childcare
Kingston Maurward College
  • Agriculture, Environmental and Animal Care
  • Construction
Poole High School
  • Finance and Accounting
Weymouth College
  • Education and Childcare
  • Health and Social Care

Courses starting September 2024:

Provider T Level Courses
Bournemouth & Poole College
  • Health and Science

  • Business & Administration

  • Engineering

  • Creative and Design

Brockenhurst College
  • Digital
  • Business and Administration
  • Engineering
The Blandford School
  • Digital
  • Health and Science
Twynham School
  • Education and Childcare
  • Health and Science
  • Creative and Design
Weymouth College
  • Creative and Design
  • Catering & Hospitality
  • Hair and Beauty
  • Engineering
  • Business and Administration 
  • Construction
  • Digital

The Careers & Enterprise Company have created several resources to support the promotion of technical education pathways. The link can be found here.

Where can I find out more?

For an overview of T Levels, the subjects and to hear current student stories, head to the T Levels website.