Technical Education Information for Careers Leaders

What are T-levels?

T levels are a new, 2-year qualification for 16- to 19-year-olds which can be taken after GCSEs. Each T level is equivalent to 3 A levels. They focus on vocational and practical skills to help young people thrive in the workplace.

T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses. This makes sure that the content meets the needs of the industry and prepares young people for work, further training, or study.

What do they involve?

T levels offer a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience. 80% of the course takes place in the classroom, learning skills. The other 20% is an industry placement, to put skills into action. The industry placement is at least 315 hours which is approximately 45 days.

What and where can I study?

To find out more about the different subjects on offer, head to the T level webpages. Locally, in Dorset, Ferndown Upper School are offering the following courses from September 2022 onwards:

  • Digital Production, Design and Development T level
  • Digital Support Services T level

More subjects and providers will be added in the future.

What are the entry requirements?

Entry requirements for each course are set by the individual college or school. Check with your local T level college or school to find out more.

How are they graded?

On completion of a T Level, students will gain a nationally recognised certification with their overall grade.

This will be either

  • Pass
  • Merit
  • Distinction
  • Distinction *

It will also provide details of what was learnt during the course.

Can they provide UCAS tariff points?

T Levels will be worth UCAS points. A T Level Distinction * is worth the same as 3 A levels at A*. It should be recognised by universities and other education providers, but it is worth checking this on the entry requirements of different institutions.

What is the T Level Transition Programme?

For those young people who might not feel ready for a T Level at the moment, the T Level Transition Programme is a 1-year post-GCSE course. Designed to prepare students for their chosen route, this course provides relevant knowledge, practical and study skills to support future study. Talk to your local T Level provider to find out if this could be an option.

T Levels on Offer in Dorset

This academic year has seen the start of T Level delivery locally. You can search to find a T Level school or college here. An overview of local providers and course start dates can be found below:

Courses starting September 2022:

Provider T Level Courses
Ferndown Upper School
  • Digital Production, Design and Development

  • Digital Support Services

Courses starting September 2023:

Provider T Level Courses
Bournemouth & Poole College
  • Digital and Computing

  • Construction

  • Education and Childcare

Brockenhurst College
  • Education and Childcare
Ferndown Upper School
  • Digital
  • Education and Childcare
Poole High School
  • Finance and Accounting
Weymouth College
  • Education and Childcare
  • Health and Social Care

Courses starting September 2024:

Provider T Level Courses
Bournemouth & Poole College
  • Health and Science

  • Business & Administration

  • Engineering

  • Creative and Design

Brockenhurst College
  • Digital
  • Business and Administration
  • Engineering
Kingston Maurward College
  • Agriculture, Environmental and Animal Care
  • Construction
The Blandford School
  • Digital
  • Health and Science
Twynham School
  • Education and Childcare
  • Health and Science
  • Creative and Design
Weymouth College
  • Creative and Design
  • Catering & Hospitality
  • Hair and Beauty
  • Engineering
  • Business and Administration 
  • Construction
  • Digital

The Careers & Enterprise Company have created several resources to support the promotion of technical education pathways. The link can be found here.

Where can I find out more?

There are some really helpful resources for teachers and Careers Leaders here.

Education & Training Foundation have a number of resources which can be found here.

For an overview of T Levels, the subjects and to hear current student stories, head to the T Levels website.

A list of providers delivering T Levels and the T Level transition programme can be found here.